Tuesday, April 18, 2017

My talks at Percona Live Santa Clara 2017

In a previous post, I listed all the Booking.com talks at Percona Live.  In this post, I will give more details about my talks.

As a reminder, the list of my talks is the following:
I will quickly describe each of them below.

Monitoring Booking.com without looking at MySQL:


On Thursday (27 April from 9:30 AM to 9:50 AM), I will give a keynote about a metric we use for observing Booking.com’s system health.  This metric is not technical (not MySQL or Linux-related), but it is one of the most important metric Booking.com has to detect a problem on the website.  Entertaining graphs will be presented showing how this metric is impacted by different events including outages.  If you have already seen this talk at the Percona Live Amsterdam Community Dinner or at the FOSDEM pre-MySQL Day, you should still learn a few things as I will show new graphs.

The two little bugs that almost brought down Booking.com:


In the lightning talks on Tuesday (25 April from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM, location TBD), I will present a war story where an incident kept DBAs working on a weekend (this talk is not yet on the program but I was told that it would happen).  This incident did not have any visible effect on our customers but it was very close to having noticeable consequences.  I will talk about this incident, including the bug in the database (MySQL/MariaDB), what helps us survive this event and what could have helped ease our work.  One of those useful things would have been the AUTO-FIX/AUTO-REPAIR mode, which is an old but still very actual MySQL feature request (Bug#54250), so I will quickly talk about this.

MySQL/MariaDB Parallel Replication: inventory, use cases and limitations:


On Wednesday (26 April from 1:00 PM to 1:50 PM in Ballroom E), I will give a Parallel Replication Inventory talk.  The most exciting things presented in this talk is MariaDB 10.1 Optimistic Parallel Replication but understanding this requires introducing MySQL 5.6 and MariaDB 10.0 Parallel Replication.  I will briefly cover MySQL 5.7 and 8.0.1 but for an in-deep coverage of those, you need to attend my other parallel replication talk.

I already gave this talk at FOSDEM 2016 and at both Percona Live 2016 conferences (Santa Clara and Amsterdam).  If you already attended one of those and unless you want to refresh concepts, you might want to skip this talk.

Note: even if the concepts presented in this talk are needed to fully understand the next talk about MySQL Parallel Replication, it will mostly cover features from MariaDB 10.0 and 10.1 (this explains why this talk is in the MariaDB track).

MySQL Parallel Replication (LOGICAL_CLOCK): all the 5.7 (and some of the 8.0) details:


On Thursday (27 April from 11:00 AM to 11:50 AM in Room 210), I will give a talk dedicated to Oracle MySQL Parallel Replication (5.7 and 8.0.1).  This talk will explain how to optimize parallel replication in MySQL 5.7 and it will present the Write Set feature.  Not only Write Sets are needed for Group Replication, they also allow running a master single-threaded workload in parallel on slaves.  Write Sets also allow new and exciting things that I will present in this talk.

As explained above, to fully follow this talk, you need to have been in contact with the concepts presented in the Parallel Replication Inventory talk.  So if you have not already seen the inventory talk or if it needs a refresh, it is a good idea to attend the talk described above.  If you cannot attend this other talk, I strongly suggest reading my blog post series on Parallel Replication and studying the slides of my previous talk.

Note: this talk is in the sponsored track as Booking.com is a sponsor of the conference.  However, I have nothing to sell in this talk.  As in my other Parallel Replication talk, I want to explain how those technologies work and to show how to use them.  Please do not be wary of the sponsored tag: this is a technical talk, not a sale pitch.


I am looking forward to seeing you in Santa Clara and to answering your questions about my talks or Booking.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment